- 1 lb bite-size broccoli florets (8 cups)
- 1/2 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup black seedless raisins or dried tart cherries
- 1/3 cup freshly shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup fat-free plain yogurt
- 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 Tbsp honey or coconut nectar
- 1 Tbsp organic or non-GMO mayonnaise
- 2 Tbsp salted roasted sunflower seeds
- In a large glass trifle or serving bowl, layer the broccoli, onion, raisins (or dried tart cherries) and cheese.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the yogurt, vinegar, honey and mayonnaise. Pour the dressing evenly over the salad.
- Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve. Sprinkle with the sunflower seeds just before serving.
Want more flavor and crunch? Add cooked uncured organic turkey bacon! Cook until crisp, chop into bits and sprinkle on top. Top with your favorite nuts.
1 Carbohydrate, 1 Vegetable, 1 Fat
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
SERVING SIZE:1 1/2 cups
AMOUNT PER SERVING: Calories 140, Carbohydrate 19g, Protein 6g, Fat 6g, Saturated Fat 1.5g, Sugars 12g, Dietary Fiber 3g, Cholesterol 10mg, Sodium 100mg, Potassium 415mg
From The All-Natural Diabetes Cookbook by Jackie Newgent, RD