- 12 ounces skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, cubed
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 2 15 - 16 - ounce can Great Northern beans or navy beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 4 - ounce can diced green chile peppers, undrained
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1 1/2 teaspoons bottled minced garlic (3 cloves)
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Light dairy sour cream (optional)
- Avocado slices (optional)
- Fresh thyme sprigs (optional)
- In a large skillet, cook chicken in hot oil just until lightly browned. Place beans in a 3-1/2- to 4-quart slow cooker; mash slightly with a potato masher.
- Add chicken to slow cooker. Stir undrained chile peppers, onion, chicken broth, cumin seeds, garlic, cayenne pepper, and black pepper into mixture in slow cooker. Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 7 to 8 hours or on high-heat setting for 3-1/2 to 4 hours.
- If desired, serve with sour cream and avocado. If desired, garnish with thyme sprigs. Makes 6 servings.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
Servings Per Recipe: 6
PER SERVING: 229 cal., 4 g total fat (1 g sat. fat), 33 mg chol., 662 mg sodium, 26 g carb. (8 g fiber, 2 g sugars), 22 g pro.
Lean Meat (d.e): 2.5; Fat (d.e): 0.5; Starch (d.e): 1.5;