- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk
- 2 egg yolks
- 4 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Sifted powdered sugar (optional)
- Place eight 6-ounce ramekins in a shallow baking pan; set aside. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a small saucepan, stir together 1/3 cup of the granulated sugar, the cocoa powder, flour, and salt. Gradually stir in milk. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir for 1 minute more. Remove from heat. Slightly beat egg yolks. Slowly add chocolate mixture to egg yolks, stirring constantly.
- In a large bowl, combine egg whites, vanilla, and cream of tartar. Beat with an electric mixer on high speed until soft peaks form (tips curl). Gradually add remaining 1/3 cup granulated sugar, beating on high speed until stiff peaks form (tips stand straight). Stir about 1/4 of the egg whites into chocolate to lighten. Gently fold chocolate mixture into egg white mixture. Spoon into ramekins.
- Bake about 25 minutes or until knife inserted near centers comes out clean. Serve immediately. If desired sprinkle with powdered sugar. Makes 8 souffles.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
PER SERVING: 109 cal., 2 g total fat 52 mg chol., 73 mg sodium, 19 g carb. 4 g pro.
Lean Meat (d.e): 0.5; Other Carb (d.e): 1;