- 2 slices fully cooked turkey bacon
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 Tbsp garlic minced
- 1 (48 oz) can chicken broth, low sodium
- ¼ tsp Italian seasoning
- ¼ tsp ground pepper
- 1 cup uncooked elbow macaroni - 100% whole wheat
- 1 (19 oz) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 cups spinach, thick stems discarded, leaves coarsely chopped or 1 (10 oz) pkg. frozen leaf spinach, thawed.
- 1 Tbsp Parmesan cheese freshly grated
- Spray large Dutch oven or pot with canola cooking spray
- Add diced, carrots, celery, onion and garlic to the pot. Cook, stirring often, 7 - 8 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add diced bacon the last 2 minutes of the cooking time.
- Add chicken broth, 2 cups water, the Italian seasoning and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer 10 minutes.
- Add pasta, cook 8 -12 minutes or until the pasta is slightly underdone. Stir in the kidney beans and spinach, return to a simmer and cook for 2 minutes or until hot.
- Serve with Parmesan cheese.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
Servings: 6 (1 ¾ cup)
Amount Per Serving: Calories 199, Calories from Fat 14 (7%), Total Fat 1.5g, Saturated Fat 0.27g, Cholesterol 7.4mg, Sodium 697mg, Potassium 755mg, Total Carbohydrates 34g, Fiber 7.6g, Sugar 2.7g, Protein 14g